Gretchen G. Randall
195 Church Street, 13th Floor, New Haven, CT 06510
Phone: 203.821.2000 | Fax: 203.821.2009
Gretchen G. Randall’s over twenty-year legal career has been devoted to defending hospitals, physicians and other healthcare providers against claims of medical negligence. She defends clients in a wide variety of cases, including cases involving emergency medicine, orthopedics, labor and delivery, surgical complications, cardiology, pulmonology, infectious disease, neurology, radiology, and internal medicine. Recently, she expanded her practice to include the defense of dentists and dental practice groups.
Gretchen has extensive experience defending complex matters, which often involve substantial damages claims. Claims include traumatic birth injury, catastrophic injury, and wrongful death cases. She also represents hospitals in the defense of premises liability claims and products liability claims. Gretchen has tried numerous cases to verdict before Connecticut juries and has significant experience with bench trials. She has also briefed and argued appeals before the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts.
Attention to detail and the ability to identify risks and challenges inform Gretchen’s defense strategies. At the outset of a case, she determines a clear course of action to defend the claims facing her clients. Exhaustive work-up of a case, including a detailed record review, research of medical literature, consultation with experts, and witness preparation, is the key to a successful outcome. She welcomes the challenge to thoroughly investigate the medicine involved in each case. Having the keen ability to utilize the pretrial process, she advances her clients’ cases and narrows the issues before the court. When circumstances are warranted, Gretchen recognizes the value of obtaining timely and efficient alternative dispute resolutions for her clients through mediation or arbitration.
Gretchen works determinedly for her clients, handling matters as efficiently as possible. She values personal relationships with clients, co-defense counsel, opposing counsel, and those who comprise her team at the Firm. She works to minimize any litigation-related anxiety for her clients through diligent preparation and thoughtful communication. Given the challenges facing her clients, she understands the value of being accessible and responsive.
In addition to litigation, Gretchen provides risk management support for her clients, advising them on issues relating to charting, JCAHO, quality assurance, and minimizing exposure in future claims. She is frequently asked to lecture on a wide range of medico-legal issues affecting physicians and hospital staff members.
Gretchen graduated cum laude from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with honors in English Literature. She earned her law degree from Indiana University School of Law, where she served as a Managing Editor on the Federal Communications Law Journal. Gretchen is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in Connecticut.
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- New Haven County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2011-2013
- The Expert Witness, Yale University School of Medicine, June 2020
- CT Dram Shop Liability, USLI and Devon Park Specialty Insurance, June 2021
- Avoiding and Reducing Medical-Legal Risk: Effective Charting and Communication, St. Mary’s Hospital, Waterbury, CT, Dept. of Surgery Grand Rounds, August, 2022
- Court Affirms Judgment for Defendant Hospital in Premises Liability Action, Dec., 2015
- Apparent Agency Now Permitted In Medical Malpractice Actions, Jun., 2016
- Neubert, Pepe & Monteith, P.C. Obtains Defense Verdict in Favor of General Surgeon, Nov., 2016
- Summary Judgment Granted in Favor of Hospital in Medical Malpractice Case, Jan., 2018
- Defense Verdict Obtained on Behalf of a Connecticut Dental Practice, Feb., 2022
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Connecticut