Sean R. Caruthers
195 Church Street, 13th Floor, New Haven, CT 06510
Phone: 203.821.2000 | Fax: 203.821.2009
Sean R. Caruthers is a talented litigator with a broad range of experience, representing clients from individuals to Fortune 500 companies in all types of civil disputes. His practice is focused in the areas of insurance defense and coverage disputes, premises, products and professional liability as well as commercial, construction and municipal litigation.
Attorney Caruthers has the unique ability to represent a client through all stages of litigation, providing services from prelitigation advice all the way through argument at Connecticut’s Appellate and Supreme Courts. He also regularly appears in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut as both lead and local counsel. Prior to joining Neubert, Pepe & Montieth, P.C., Attorney Caruthers worked for over a decade at a mid-sized defense firm in the New Haven area.
Attorney Caruthers received his undergraduate degree from Providence College and his law degree from Michigan State University. During law school, Attorney Caruthers won the Robert F. Wagner National Labor & Employment Law Moot court Competition and placed second in the Journal of Legal Medicine’s National Health Law Moot Court Competition. He was also a notes and comments editor of the Journal of Business and Securities Law.
Attorney Caruthers is a member of the American, Connecticut and New Haven County Bar Associations, the Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association, and the Litigation and Appellate Law Sections of the Connecticut Bar Association. He has served his community as a member of the board of directors of a local non-profit mental health agency and as a mentor to local high school students. He lives in Cheshire with his wife Amber and two daughters.
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Litigation & Appellate Sections
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
Honors & Awards
- National Champion and Best Oralist, Robert F. Wagner National Labor & Employment Law Moot Court Competition
- Second Place, Journal of Legal Medicine National Health Law Moot Court competition
- Chubb Group of Insurance Companies Scholar
- New Haven Club of Providence College Scholarship Recipient
- Connecticut Children’s Guidance Clinic, Board of Directors
- Shepherds, Inc., Mentor
- Fund for Notre Dame High School-West Haven, Cabinet Member
- ALM Legal Publication, Smart Litigator Practice Q&A
Classes & Seminars
- Attorney Caruthers frequently offers classes and seminars in particular areas of the law and practice tips for insurance companies.
- “Defense Verdict in Property Damage Action,” Jan 2020
- Tannone v. Amica Mutual Insurance Co., 329 Conn. 665, 189 A.3d 99 (2018)
- Girolametti v. Michael Horton Associates, Inc., 173 Conn. App. 630, 164 A.3d 731 (2017)
- Harry Hirsch, Esq. v. Sturges Brothers, Inc., FBT-CV-14-6041117-S
- Lepelley v. Fitzgerald, DBD-CV-13-6013738S
- SRSNE Group v. Advance Coatings Co. v. Judson Construction, Inc., 3:08-CV-981 (AWT)
- Bergers v. Madison Public Schools, NNH-CV-07-5011441-S
U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit