Michael D. Neubert
195 Church Street, 13th Floor, New Haven, CT 06510
Phone: 203.821.2000 | Fax: 203.821.2009
Michael D. Neubert is a founding partner of Neubert, Pepe & Monteith, P.C. He is head of the firm’s Professional Malpractice & Insurance Defense and Medical Malpractice & Hospital Liability Defense practice areas. He is also in the Healthcare Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution & Mediation practice groups. Mike has extensive experience in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, medical and dental malpractice defense, professional liability defense and hospital liability law.
Within his litigation and malpractice and liability defense practice areas, Mike chiefly represents physicians, lawyers and real estate agents. In hospital liability law he represents physicians in professional licensing disputes, nursing home litigation, product liability, administrative law, premise liability, municipal liability, and employment litigation.
Mike has been a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) since 2004 and recognized by Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in the area of Medical Malpractice Defense for many consecutive years. He was designated New Haven “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants in 2016 and 2019 by Best Lawyers in America.
Mike’s clients include hospitals, physicians, attorneys, law firms, and professional associations. In addition, his clients include major insurance companies, corporations, and municipalities. He has over a 90% success rate trying numerous jury and court trials in state and federal court. Additionally, he has won appeals before the Connecticut Supreme Court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. Mike frequently speaks at seminars on trial practice, professional liability and health care risk management.
Mike earned his law degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame, with honors. Prior to founding Neubert, Pepe & Monteith, P.C. in 1993, he was a principal at the law firm of Updike, Kelly & Spellacy, P.C. There he served as managing principal of the firm’s New Haven office from 1991 through 1993.
Mike is admitted to practice in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and California. He is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court of Connecticut, U.S. Northern District of California, United States 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, as well as the U.S. Southern District Court of New York.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Life Fellow, Associate
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Medical-Legal Committee, Former Vice Chair
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- New Haven County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers, Personal Injury Medical Malpractice: Defense, 2007-2021
- Best Lawyers in America, New Haven “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, New Haven “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America, New Haven “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, 2012-2023
- New Haven Legal Assistance Association, Friends Board of Directors
- New Haven Regional Leadership Council, Member
- St. Regis Health Care Center
- Board of Trustees, Member
- Financial Committee, Chair
- St. Raphael Health Care System, Member
Classes & Seminars
- Seminars on Trial Practice, Professional Liability, and Health Care Risk Management
- “Summary Judgment Granted in Favor of Hospital and Obstetrician in Birth Injury Case,” April 2017
- “Neubert, Pepe & Monteith, P.C. Obtains Defense Verdict in Favor of General Surgeon,” November 2016
- “Norwalk Hospital Prevails in Premises Liability Action,” June 2016
- “Apparent Agency Now Permitted In Medical Malpractice Actions,” June 2016
- “Court Affirms Judgment for Defendant Hospital in Premises Liability Action,” December 2015
- “Summary Judgment Granted: Hospital Cannot Be Held Vicariously Liable for Alleged Negligence of Co-Defendant Surgeon,” June 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit