Joseph R. Dunaj is a member of the firm’s commercial litigation, and bankruptcy and creditor rights groups. His extensive experience includes representation of financial institutions and creditors in various collection cases and foreclosure cases, inclusive of settlement negotiations, title matters, and both appellate and bankruptcy work. Joseph regularly draws upon his broad knowledge of the law and practical court experience in order to achieve positive results in court for clients.
Prior to joining Neubert, Pepe, and Monteith, P.C., Joseph primarily represented banks, mortgage servicers, and lenders in residential and commercial foreclosure cases, both as a plaintiff and as a defendant. Joseph’s experience in foreclosure cases is extensive and he has obtained a number of favorable court decisions, particularly in the areas of opening foreclosure judgments, and the impact of a bankruptcy stay or appellate stay on a foreclosure.
Joseph earned his B.A. from the University of Connecticut, and his J.D. from the Quinnipiac University School of Law. While attending law school, Joseph served on the editorial board of the Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal. Joseph is currently admitted to practice in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut.
When not practicing law, Joseph enjoys hiking the various trails available in Connecticut.
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- “Connecticut Supreme Court Clarifies Limits on Post-Judgment Jurisdictional Challenges” – USFN January 2023 USFNews – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/483052/Connecticut-Supreme-Court-Clarifies-Limits-on-Post-Judgment-Jurisdictional-Challenges
- “Connecticut: Appellate Court Clarifies Interplay of the Appellate Stay and the Effectiveness of Law Days in Strict Foreclosures” – USFN October 2022 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/480210/Connecticut-Appellate-Court-Clarifies-Interplay-of-the-Appellate-Stay-and-the-Effectiveness-of-Law-Days-in-Strict-Foreclosures
- “Connecticut – Appellate Court Places Limitations on Opening Judgment of Strict Foreclosure” – USFN February 2022 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/445294/Connecticut-Appellate-Court-Places-Limitations-on-Opening-Judgment-of-Strict-Foreclosure
- “US Bank NA v Rothermel – a Rubric for Analyzing Equitable Claims After Title Vests to a Foreclosing Plaintiff” – USFN August 2021 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/375273/US-Bank-NA-v-Rothermel–a-Rubric-for-Analyzing-Equitable-Claims-After-Title-Vests-to-a-Foreclosing-Plaintiff
- “HSBC v. Karlen – A Cautionary Reminder in Pleading a Loan Modification” – USFN February 2020 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/340701/HSBC-v-Karlen–A-Cautionary-Reminder-in-Pleading-a-Loan-Modification
- “Connecticut Case Addresses Bankruptcy Stay’s Impact on Judgments of Strict Foreclosure” – USFN December 2019 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/337857/Connecticut-Case-Addresses-Bankruptcy-Stay-s-Impact-on-Judgments-of-Strict-Foreclosure
- “Connecticut: Appellate Court Clarifies Redemption Period” – USFN September 2018 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/308973/Connecticut-Appellate-Court-Clarifies-Redemption-Period
- “Connecticut – Does an Untimely Appeal Invoke the Automatic Appellate Stay” – USFN July/August 2018 e-update – https://www.usfn.org/blogpost/1296766/307265/Connecticut-Does-an-Untimely-Appeal-Invoke-the-Automatic-Appellate-Stay
- USFN Briefing Webinar, February 2023, Panelist
- Bank of New York Mellon v. Tope, 345 Conn. 662, 286 A.3d 891 (2022)
- Real Estate Mortgage Network, Inc. v. Squillante, 184 Conn. App. 356, 194 A.3d 1262 (2018)
- Deutsche Bank National Trust Company v. Rojas, FBT-CV17-6064031-S, 2019 Conn. Super LEXIS 2770 (Oct. 21, 2019)
- Ditech Financial, LLC v. Hinckley, LLI-CV-18-6017048-S, 2019 Conn. Super LEXIS 841 (Apr. 1, 2019)
- Fannie Mae v. Kennawi, HHD-CV-17-6080086-S, 2019 Conn. Super. LEXIS 509, 2019 WL 1765934 (Mar. 11, 2019)
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Singh, NNH-CV10-6009682-S, 2019 Conn. Super LEXIS 295 (Feb. 5, 2019)
- S. Bank, N.A. v. Scalzi, FBT-CV-13-037999-S, 2018 Conn. Super LEXIS 374, 2018 WL 1475193 (Feb. 16, 2018)
- S. Bank, N.A. v. Morawska – FBT-CV09-6003421S, 2018 Conn. Super. LEXIS 159, 2018 WL 1003460 (Jan. 25, 2018)
- HSBC Bank USA, N.A. v. Joseph, FBT-CV12-6029126-S, 2017 Conn. Super. LEXIS 4041, 2017 WL 3671334 (July 17, 2017)
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Speer, KNL-CV-11-6010223-S, 2016 Conn. Super LEXIS 3448 (Dec. 28, 2016)
- District Court of Connecticut
- Rhode Island