MembershipsCommunityPublicationsHonors & AwardsSpeaking
Douglas S. Skalka is an experienced bankruptcy and commercial finance practitioner. He represents businesses, lenders, trade auditors and investors in many bankruptcy and business reorganization matters. Attorney Skalka’s clients include secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, commercial lenders, trustees, and creditors’ committees. His cases are located in Connecticut and though out the country. He serves as counsel for asset-based lending transactions, avoidance actions, business reorganization, and the acquisition of troubled companies and their assets.
Attorney Skalka holds a certification in business bankruptcy from the American Board of Certification. Doug has held this select certification for over twenty years. As such, he was recently named a Senior Specialist by the Board. The American Board of Certification is the nation’s premier legal specialty certification organization. The Board certifies attorneys as specialists in business bankruptcy, consumer bankruptcy and creditors’ rights law.
In addition, Attorney Skalka served as the Co-chairman of the Bankruptcy Committee of the Stamford Regional Bar Association and Chairman of the Bankruptcy Committee for the New Haven County Bar Association. He served as the President of the Connecticut chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (1999-2000) and is a current board member. Attorney Skalka served as a Contributing Editor to the 1998-1999 treatise on bankruptcy law published by Wiley Publications. Attorney Skalka practices in the states of New York and Connecticut. An active member of the American Bar Association (Business Law Section), he also is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, and the Connecticut Bar Association (Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section). Attorney Skalka lectures extensively on commercial finance, business reorganizations and insolvency issues.
Attorney Skalka graduated from Cornell University in 1982. He received his law degree from Boston University School of Law in 1985. In law school Attorney Skalka was the Editor-in-Chief of the Probate Law Journal. Prior to joining Neubert, Pepe & Monteith in 1995, Attorney Skalka was a partner with Whitman, Breed, Abbott & Morgan.
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section, Member
- Connecticut Bar Foundation, Lifetime Fellow
- New Haven County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Committee, Chair
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, (Connecticut Chapter), Board Member, 1995 – 2002; President, 1999 – 2000; Board Member, Membership Co-chair, 2017 – Present
- Ezra Academy, Board of Directors, 2004-Present
- Anti-Defamation League, Connecticut Region, New Haven County Committee, Chair, 2000-Present
- Tower One/Tower East, Senior Housing Community, Board of Directors, 2004- 2009
- Long Wharf Theatre, Development Committee Member, 1995 – 1999
- Treatise on Bankruptcy Law, Wiley Publications, Contributing Editor, 1999
- American Board of Certification, Senior Specialist, Business Bankruptcy
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2006-2020
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy: Business, 2007-2020
- Connecticut Super Lawyers Top 10, 2014
- Connecticut Super Lawyers Top 50, 2014-2016
- New England Super Lawyers Top 100, 2013-2016
- In re Thermospas, Inc.
- In re Daticon, Inc.
- In re Publishers Consortium, Inc.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.A.